About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Personification a la O'Hara and Cisneros--6th grade

Here are a few more of those poems featuring personification, inspired by Frank O'Hare and Sandra Cisneros, by Mrs. Hernandez's 6th grade class in Room 109.


###


Moon
Daisy A.


Black the sky is.
The white moon flashes through the black.
Round eyes, curved mouth, solid as a stone.
Talk to me, moon, day and weeks I
waited. I reach to touch but I'm too
far. I got to bed as soon as it's pitch
black, I see your white eye blink.

A Lonely Car
Vanessa A.


I look out my window. I see a
car. A car with blue skin. A car
who's overweight. A car with four
legs, who runs all day long. A car
with feelings. Who's always sad
and never happy. He talks to
me with no words but tears.
No one sees to understand him but
me. I go outside and comfort
the car. When he is sad I am
sad. When he cries I cry. I ask
him, "What's wrong?" He tells me
he's lonely. I tell him, "I'm here,
I'm here."

My Garage
Miguel A.


My garage opens his mouth and sticks
out his tongue.

I look at it for a long time until
his tongue drives away.

My sister screams, "Stop looking
at the dumb garage."

I say, "Shut up!" and she does.

My garage starts talking. It says,
"Be nice to your brothers and
sisters."

I ask why.

He says, "What if you want them
to be nice to you?"

"Oh, right," I say.
"Then why do you pour gas
on your brother, the yard?"

Windy Night
Miguel G.


I heard a screech at my window.
The windy city is living up to its
name tonight. Very windy, not
completely peaceful as I thought
it would be tonight. "I must ask
you something," said the tree. He
is scared, like when you watch
a very scary movie at night. "May I
use a jacket? I am freezy." Planes
passing, trains running, and trees are
screaming of windows.

No comments: