About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Haikuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Oh, how exciting it was to work on these haiku poems. These kids were intent and intense. We started with a freewriting exercise last week to get warmed up to the idea--and generate some material--and this week we used that material to craft some lovely gems, some razor-sharp moments, some crystal snapshots, pictured below.

I was especially impressed with the students' willingness to mess with conventional sentence structure, and toy with how they articulated their original images and ideas in order to fit the haiku structure.


###


Mrs. Hernandez, Rm. 109, 6th grade



Haiku
Samuel N.


The birds are chirping.
The wind is blowing like a
freezer in a store.

My dogs are barking.
Also the clouds are flowing.
They’re going away.


Haiku
Chris R.


School I do and write
I blush in embarrassment
I laugh while I laugh


Haiku
Briana D.


It’s very dark outside,
soon will be time to sleep.
Dark, outside I’m scared.


Haiku
Miguel G.


staring at the sky
daydreaming about many things
that the bell can ring


Haiku
Daisy A.


I am in a class
where desks move like blue and white
rumbling water

Tomatoes are brown.
My face blushes in the cold.
Trees are calm and cold.

Aunt cooking a pie.
The sour blueberry pie.
My aunt, a berry pie.

No comments: