About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Windowpane Personification -- 7th grade

I shared two poems with the students, both that had speakers who observed something from their bedroom window, and used personification to help describe this thing, and found some inspiration from it as well. We read and discussed "Four Skinny Trees/Cuatro arboles flaquititos" by Sandra Cisneros, and "A True Account of Talking to the Sun on Fire Island" by Frank O'Hara, before we wrote our own window poems, where I asked them to choose a non-human item they can see from their window and use personification to describe it. More specifically, I encouraged them to envision a conversation beteween themselves and this thing (similar to Frank and the sun in "A True Account").


###


Mrs. Jamen, Rm. 207, 7th grade


A Promising Star
Paola S.


I was falling asleep
when a tiny little voice yelled, "Come out!"
I arose sleepily and opened my door.
I went outside to my porch.
"Where are you?!" I yelled.
"Look up here!" a glitter fell on my head.
"Now look, I've been sent to give
you an important message."
I was trying to look at it but its shiny
mouth kept hurting my delicate eyes.
"I've heard you have been getting in
trouble, making bad decisions."
It was short but wide arms pointed at
me.
"Yes, see lately I don't know what to
do, I'm confused, I don't know how to
make my own choices."
I couldn't help it, my eyes
were watery.
"Look, I promise, just follow your
heart and it will guide you to
a good path."


Estrella
Daniela G.


Una estrella en la noche
brillaba como nunca,
y decide hacerla mi
amiga. Ella siempre
me escucha lo que tengo
que contar aunque sea
tan aburrido que hasta
yo misma me quedo
dormida pero para ella
no importa porque es
mi mas grande amiga.


The Cars That Never Stop
Miguel M.


I see the cars from my window.
I see them running like
people run during a race.
I see their wheels moving
fast like they were human
legs trying to be the
first ones to get to their
destination. I ask them if
they are tired of running
all day trying to be the
first ones to get where they
can rest for some time
but they said they
like going from one place
to another because that's
what they know to do.


###


Mr. Czoski, Rm. 209, 7th grade

Grass
Cynthia S.


I see the grass very dark.
It said, “I feel so lonely. Nobody
pays attention. They step
on like I don’t have feelings.”
“That’s exactly how I feel,” I said.
“I like when the kids play
on, especially soccer,” said the grass.
“Don’t let your emotions
take control of you. You have to be
very strong,” told me,
the grass.


The Stubborn Car
Louis B.


the cars were running by
yelling in their deep voices
I yell back “be quiet out there”
it ignores me
I yell it again
the car behind it tells it to listen to me
the car tells me “forget you”
I throw a toy car at it
the car blows its exhaust at me
I scream “stupid car”
then I shut my window


Moon
Jesus Jacquez


The moon is very bright at night
the moon comes down and shines on me
and tells me, “What’s wrong?”
“I got an F on my test.”
The moon told me, “Keep studying.”
“I do study,” I said.
“Then go to school and study there
and tell the teacher what you need
help on,” said the moon.
“O.K.” I said.
“O.K., bye,
I have to rise down so the sun
can come up.”
“Bye,” I said.


###


Mrs. Bourret, Rm. 208, 7th grade


Moon
Stephanie G.


Moon—the moon talks
to me and tells
me things like, “Be
confident.” And I
tell it, “How?” And it says,
“Figure it out yourself. You
know how. Just try. YOU
CAN DO IT.”

The moon talks
to me every night when
everyone is sleeping.

The more I grow
up, I’m more confident.

Her name is LALA because
she sings to make people
go to sleep. When she
sings I fall asleep and
become more confident.


Untitled
Emilio R.


I could hear the wind talk
to the tree. I hear swift words.
I hear the tree rumble in the
darkness…I hear what I can’t see.


Houses
Cristian G.


When I saw my neighborhood
it seemed like family.
Being all together,
watching each other.
When the curtains open and
close, it’s looking at someone.
Your neighbors coming out the
house and cleaning up the house.
They give you protection by
keeping you in the house.
Thank you, house,
for keeping me safe,
and I will thank you back.


###


Mrs. Harris, Rm. 210, 7th grade


The Beautiful Stars
Ashley C.


I look out the window and I
see the stars. I’m talking to
my friend on the phone but I don’t
really pay attention. I just stare.
I hope they don’t mind that I stare. They’re
just so beautiful. I tell my
friend I will talk to her
later because I don’t want
her to tell me something
important and I won’t
be paying attention. So then
I stare and wonder, they’re so
far away, yet they glow as
if they were a new light bulb that
just turned on. So I sneak outside
and lay on the cold and wet
grass but I don’t care, there just
lay and stare, the stars so
amazing and they’re so nice and
generous, they show their talent
by giving me a show. The best
thing: they don’t talk, but they sing.


The Fence
Janan A.


“Ya!” it said as I walked by it. “Why
don’t you close me? I am always
standing here to keep your house safe.
And you don’t close me?” “Sorry,” I say,
“I forget sometimes.” “Well, you can’t
forget,” it says. “You don’t know how
it feels standing out here in the
cold nights. And in the melting
summers. Why don’t you try
standing out here with me just
this one night?” it says. “Please!”
So I stay. And the next day
I leave and close the gate. With
a smile.


Wind
Dalia C.


It stands there with no reasoning.
The wind blows,
but it still stays in its place.
The grass says nothing.

No comments: