About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Singing personality: more personification (6th grade, rm. 109)

We spent a second week revising our personification poems, which gives me a chance to showcase more of them! The below poems are from Mrs. Hernandez' 6th grade class in room 109.

###

White Snow
Miguel G.


Snow is cold not
warm but very cold looks like
many squished marshmallows all outside
walk outside up to my ankles
all white but not as bright kids are
not hoping for
sunshine.


Star
Samuel N.


Once in the night sky a star
came down from the sky and it had
singing personality and let me turn into
a star and fly high up in the sky and then
I fall down down into the clouds which
were my bed and "Good night, star," I said. As I
went to bed.


The Paper Trip
Yaneliz R.


I write on the paper.
It talks to me. It is telling
me about his trip, how
he used to be a tree. "They
cut me up to pieces until I
was paper," the paper said.

"What a trip! Did it
hurt?" I asked.

"Sure it didn't, I am
very strong and powerful," the
paper said.

"Are you sure?" I
asked.

"Sure I'm sure! When
I say something I mean it."
The paper had finished his story.

No comments: