About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

I have to praise you...

More poems from the "Praise Poem" exercise, based on "Praise Song" by Lucille Clifton. I have some poems here from Mrs. Bourret's 7th grade class in Rm. 208; I only did this writing with one classroom, as we were occupied with reading and discussing the "I Fear" poems. More praise poems next week!

With this writing, I wanted to push the kids past the expected (encouraging them to praise representative parts of an item, or to praise unusual things that we wouldn't normally consider praiseworthy), and for them to warm up to the point that something unexpected might emerge.

Here are three examples; these three all seem to reach a point in the writing where they stumble over something new.


###

Untitled
Eric W.


I praise my mom, a special
woman that I adore a lot. She’s
pretty, makes me happy. But when
things happen she cries her pretty
eyes out, her tears just flowing
to the drain, then she falls out
and sleeps the night away.


Untitled
Gerardo I.


I praise that there is
a heart in everyone because
there is love in everyone’s heart.

Also I praise that
there is a hand to guide
when you are lonely.

Also I praise that
there is an ear that can
hear me when I am sad.

Also praise that there are
eyes that can see someone
in their ugliest.


Untitled
Anissa V.


Praise to my father’s voice; not how it
sounds but what it says.

Praise to the soil, ’cause if it wasn’t for
it we wouldn’t have plants or
vegetables to eat.

Praise to teachers, for giving you
education for your future.

Praise to pictures; without them I
wouldn’t be able to see my grandfather’s
face.

Praise to memories that you never
forget.

Praise to stories that tell you
about a loved one who you’ve
never seen or met.

Praise to dreams, ’cause without
them, what would we have
to live for?

Praise to poetry, you can let out
your emotions and express
yourself fully.

Praise to love that warms my
heart when I’m sad, the feeling
of being loved by your family I
think is the best love around.

Praise to the colors, which we
need to make a beautiful
painting.

No comments: