About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fear: a further poetic exploration--8th grade

After reading and discussing the fear cento poems with the 8th grade classesI asked the students to take one line from their class poem and explore it a little further, using it as the first line of their own poem. They could choose one of their own lines or someone else's. Here are the interesting results.


###


Mr. Stalla, Rm. 201


The Darkness
Jacqueline L.


I fear the darkness under my bed
where someone or something could
be hiding.

I fear it because you never know
when something might pop out

It could grab hold of your leg
and pull you in

It would have you as a midnight
snack on the way to the bathroom

I would feel the creepy crawlers
as I hide under my covers

They would slowly forget me and
the day I disappeared

It was all because I could not
open my eyes and turn on the lights


Untitled
Yoseline M.


I fear walking alone in the dark street
where there’s no light.
No hope, nobody to lean on.
Hear cars pass me by like a dog
on the side of the street with no owner,
lost in the world.
Dark.


I Fear the World Might End Soon
Victor R.


We are all going to die.
Humanity will cease to exist.
Our hopes and dreams will be gone.
Disaster and chaos everywhere.
Nature and beauty gone.
No one to learn.
No one to learn from.
Fire and rocks are the only things left.
No more summer nights.
No more friendship or kindness.

###

Mr. Balcazar, Rm. 203


Rage
Christian E.


I fear the rage inside when it comes out
destroying and messing with everything
in sight. The rage can only be controlled
with PIE. Apple pie.
The warm inviting smell calms the
rage down. With the rage calmed down
I can rest once again.


Luis F.

I fear the dark, it's like a hole in the world,
walking into the basement, pitch dark
thinking there's someone everywhere you look,
hearing noises inside your head,
frantically looking for the light switch.
You see someone walking up to you.

You turn on the light,
a sigh of relief, you look
around, there is nothing.


Yocelin J.

I fear the grade F on the paper in front of me
people making fun of you
teacher's disappointment
B honor roll to nothing
feeling dumb
getting mad
fear going home with that paper

###

Ms. Catinella, Rm. 202


Oscar V.


I fear dying young,
not accomplishing what I want in life,
not seeing things I want to see,
not having a family.


Mariana D.

I fear dark alleys
where there are things that lurk at night
eyes looking at me
noises from behind
not knowing what could happen
something coming
look behind nothing there


Corina S.

I am afraid of not getting
through the gates, and getting sent
down. To lose my chance of being in
peace. To keep my fear in me, it is hard,
but to lose it is harder.

###

Ms. Fenton, Rm. 204


Marcos P.


I fear not making it to the majors
because I might suck at it and
I'll be the worst player in
the team. Then they'll send
me to minor leaguers and will
only pay me very little but
I also fear if I'm the
best, everyone will
hate me and the
team trades me
to the
Chicago Cubs.
Even though the Sox are better.
GO SOX!


Alex S.

I fear my mouth, what it says.
I want to say the right things.
I don't want to be wrong.
I don't want to hurt people with
what I say.
I don't want people to get mad.
I don't want to get in trouble
with what comes out of my mouth.
I want to stop swearing at people
who I shouldn't.


I Fear What I Fear
Frank M.


I fear what I fear. I can't
even figure out what it is that
I fear. I fear something everyone
fears, something I need
to find out what it is that
I fear. I don't fear monsters.
If I only knew what it is
that I fear. I fear what I fear.
What is it that I fear?

No comments: