About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Praise Songs, 6th grade, room 109

Lucille Clifton's poem "Praise Song" describes a strange incident involving the speaker's aunt, which very nearly ends in tragedy, but doesn't. In Mrs. Hernandez's 6th grade class, I asked the students to think of everyday things that they would praise, encouraging them to zoom in on some part or aspect of this item (as Clifton's speaker praises "the arms of the family."), or on some unexpected item to praise.

Here are some samples. Notice how Daisy mentions "words and voice" when talking about the poetry we read in class. I introduced the topic of voice on the first day when we were discussing "Abuelito Who." I'm also interested in the exuberance in Briana's poem, and how she breaks form at the end to let that play out. Also, note Miguel's internal rhyme, how he played with the word sounds a little.


###

Untitled
Daisy A.


Praise to Mrs. Hernandez whose brain
helped me get my grades up.

Praise to Mrs. Javellana whose poetry
has words and voice.

Praise to my sister. Without her I wouldn’t
have a heart.

Praise to the trees that give us
paper.

Praise to my eyes ’cause without them
I wouldn’t see.


Praise, Praise, Praise
Briana D.


Praise to my mom for having me.
Thank you.
Praise to my dad for everything
he does for me.
Praise for my two silly brothers
for making me laugh.
Praise for my friend for
having my back;
Thank you!
Praise for my mom for saying
I’m her right hand.
I love when she says that!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO


Untitled
Miguel A.


Praise to videogame creators and their creative heads.

Praise to calculator that cheats for me in math.

Praise snow like a cold version of clay dough.

Praise to hair that keeps my head warm.

Praise the T.V. and all its comedy shows.

2 comments:

Lidia said...

Great poem Miguel! Hey, wait a minute, now I have to keep an eye on you with that calculator!! j/k Mom :)

r_grace said...

Hi, Lidia! Thanks for reading, and for commenting!