About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fear Poems cont'd, Rm. 208

Another installment in the fear poems! This one from Room 208.

###

The Fear
Rachel Javellana and Room 208, Mrs. Bourret’s 7th grade class, Lee School


I fear when someone pops out of the corner, when someone says BOO! from the other
side of the wall.
I fear cancer—you never know if someone you care about will die from cancer.
I fear being outside in the dark after hours.
I fear not knowing what is going to happen in the future; is something amazing going to
happen or is something terrible going to happen?
I fear when I’m watching a scary movie at night.
I fear being home alone at night.
I fear green eyes. They’re so evilish.
I fear big, mean, scary clowns.
I fear walking alone with my little sister after school not knowing what can happen.
I fear evil strangers killing innocent people; who will be next?
I fear the body, ’cause I don’t know what develops and when it develops.
I fear being awake at night and getting out of bed for any reason. I feel that someone will
grab my feet and take me away to a horrible world. Or that someone is waiting
for me to take away.
I fear being alone in the house in the dark scary night.
I fear to know I fail my parents in my grades at school.
I fear ruining my life and wasting my childhood by growing up too fast.
I fear a tiger attacking me in a jungle.
I fear big airplanes that could fall.
I fear Iraq attacking America at day or night.
I fear the ISAT test; too much answers.
I fear mice scratching inside the walls.
I fear the darkness because of the couch in the living room.
I fear my dog we sleep at night.
I fear scary clowns that chase me at night or the day of Halloween, ’cause I fear them
catching me.
I fear when I walk through the basement, turn off the lights and I walk up the stairs. I
feel like someone’s behind me.
I fear huge mountains that could fall on you.
I fear scary movies.
I fear people dying. Knowing that one day I won’t be able to hug them and have a
conversation.
I fear when I look in my closet and my light is off but when I walk up the light flickers red.
I fear when I walk downstairs to the basement; when I’m on the last step, the light starts
flickering above me.
I fear the dark when I’m alone in my room and the closet is open.
I fear sleeping in the night in my basement.
I fear what people say when I’m not around.
I fear to lose a friend by a word in a conversation.
I fear breaking my arm ollieing down a stairset.
I fear when my life ends. And goes to waste.
I fear dying at the skatepark at night.
I fear my coaches, ’cause they push me. I do it but I don’t know if I did it right.
I fear that the stuff that happens in those ridiculous horror flicks will happen to me, even
though I know it’s not real.
I fear being up in the night.
I fear the dark basement when I go down alone.
I fear heights when I look down and I’m up high.
I fear the lightning in the dark sky.
I fear walking down a dark scary alley.
I fear the airplanes when they’re flying on top of the house.
I fear going into an abandoned building at night.
I fear people at night when I go outside.
I fear the basement, getting the food or broom out of fridge and closet. Feeling like
someone will come out and take me away from my life.
I fear clowns. They look very weird, their hair is scary.
I fear when two people split a pole.
I fear someone is going to break into the house.
I fear going to the basement.
I fear tornadoes hitting the area.
I fear sleeping by myself.
I fear planes. They’re big and scary. I hate when they go in the air.
I fear if there are any germs in my body.
I fear when I walk by myself.
I fear when ghosts chase me.
I fear failure, ’cause I don’t like losing/going down in volleyball or my meets when I am
at cross country/track.
I fear the smell of smoke. I know someone is in danger.
I fear the dark. It brings chills down my spine by the quietness in the room.
I fear that the Bears won’t make the Superbowl, ’til a while.
I fear not passing a test, knowing that high schools look at your seventh grade grades.
I fear going to the alley.
I fear flying high after I saw Final Destination the movie.
I fear the agony of defeat, when you worked so hard to lose it all.
I fear airplanes because you never know if you can crash or something.
I fear when I’m alone in the dark, when I watch scary movies.
I fear blindness. You lose one eye then the other, then you’re blind.
I fear heights; it feels like standing 100 feet way up in the sky.
I fear the number 12.
I fear walking in the night in my street.
I fear disappointing the people who care about me by not making the right decisions in
life.
I fear my parents dying and staying alone.
I fear my dark basement while doing the laundry.
I fear images that just pop into my head in an instant.
I fear the fear.

No comments: