About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Portrait Poems--6th graders

In my one 6th grade classroom at Lee--Mrs. Hernandez' class in room 109--I presented "Abuelito Who" by Sandra Cisneros, from her book My Wicked Wicked Ways. We talked about the voice and narrative of the poem, and had an easy entree into metaphor discussing how the speaker compares her abuelito to, or associates him with, certain objects. I asked them to write a poem that "paints a picture" of someone with whom they are close, using similar methods to Cisneros': What they DO (or LIKE TO DO), what they SAY or HAVE SAID (call you, advice, etc.), and several objects that REMIND YOU OF THEM (or that you ASSOCIATE WITH THEM).

###

My Dad
Stephanie M.


My dad
My dad is like a saw.
who snores like a lion roaring
who calls me free
who is like an elf
who loves to laugh
is crazy for his family.
He is help when you
need it
who loves to play.
He is like a toll man
workin' all day.
My dad my wonderful
dad.


My Grandma
Daisy A.


My grandma who cooks with the
recipe books.
She tells me I'm a twinkle star
At night she calls me the moon
My grandma is a chocolate chip cookie
who lives in the bakery all day
She's the heart who gives me all
of her love


Grandpa
Christian H.


Grandpa who is tools and
medicine. Who is dogs
and work. Who says
to me buddy. Who works
like the tools of a worker. Whose head is
full of lice. Grandpa
who is like tools.

No comments: