About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This is What I Fear, Rm. 202, 8th grade

I brought in an excerpt of "82 Reasons Not to Get Out of Bed," by Denise Duhamel and her Florida International University M.F.A. students. It is a collaborative piece, the result of the entire class and the teacher writing down several fears, then one student compiling them into a poem and titling it. This method of compiling assorted lines or parts to make a poem is often called a cento.

For my 7th and 8th grade classes, I asked them to write down 3 fears on a blank paper--no names--emphasizing that they should be particular and concrete, zooming in on the fear. I compiled them into collaborative pieces, literally cutting up the sheets of paper and drawing out slips randomly one by one, typing the poem as I went (although I was a little more intentional with endings).

More fear centos to come! Believe me, you can't wait. I know I can't.



###


This is What I Fear
Rachel Javellana and Room 202, Ms. Catinella’s 8th grade class, Lee School



I fear drowning when I can swim but can’t come back up to get air.
I fear being without my family. I would not know what to do without them.
I fear heights that are taller than the sky.
I fear getting Fs in school.
I fear the dark, whose guilty hand tries to pull me in.
I fear clowns.
I fear the world ending.
I fear guns shooting outside.
I fear my world may one day come crashing down.
I fear time: not having any to finish the important things in life.
I fear being hopeless with no sense in living.
I fear I will get shot and die.
I fear the movies when you don’t know what else is going to happen.
I fear that one day I won’t come home; I will be taken away from my family.
I fear people lying on the floor, pale and not breathing.
I fear that in the future I will be nothing or nobody.
I fear never succeeding in anything, not going anywhere in life.
I fear getting sick and not being able to get better.
I am afraid of the time to run away from me.
I fear people dying.
I fear my dad’s huge hand striking my face down.
I fear being outside alone at night.
I fear guns.
I fear the men in the streets in the night.
I fear getting shot because I wear the wrong colors in the wrong ’hoods.
I am afraid of what can happen 50 years from now.
I fear death knocking at the door.
I fear divorces.
I fear dying early.
I am afraid of not getting through the gates, and being sent down.
I fear feeling lonely.
I fear strangers.
I fear losing my dad over something that isn’t even worth it.
I fear the height when you go on a rollercoaster, seeing all the things beneath you.
I fear when people start screaming and fighting.
I fear the room when it’s dark.
I fear funerals.
I fear Fridays the 13th for bad luck.
I fear surgery.
I fear spiders, big and small.
I fear getting into a gang shooting.
I fear small rooms; I fear being in one by myself.
I fear flying squirrels.
I fear losing my mom over something stupid.
I fear the planes that go up in the sky.
I fear Ms. Catinella.
I fear dark alleys.
I fear the darkness of an empty room.
I fear being in small places because I feel like I’m going to pass out.
I fear a lot of homework.
I fear dying when it’s my turn.
I fear the reaper taking my life away.
I fear the world will end and we won’t have enough time, and no way to stop it from
ending.
I fear guns taking a life away.
I am afraid of not seeing the light anymore and going away from my family.
I fear getting into trouble.
I fear heights over eight feet.
I fear height.
I fear people fighting outside.
I fear falling down a building.
I fear talking about my baby.
I fear the world is going to end at any time.
I fear breaking my leg.
I fear living on the streets as a bum.
I fear gangs.
I fear large quantities of water like lakes.
I fear being in danger.
I fear forgetting my favorite people when I go off with my future career.
I fear heights.
I fear dying young.
I fear being kidnapped.
I fear dying too young.
I fear bees.

That is what I fear.

No comments: