About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rm. 209--Fear

Here is another fear poem from Mr. Czoski's 7th grade class in room 209. When I brought in the final product, typed and copied, we read it as a group, each person reading one fear. The students said that it was interesting to read some fears that might be secret or unshared, "how other kids might be outside of school," and that it "felt good" to read about fears that they might have also, because "then you don't feel so alone."


###

Seventy-five
Rachel Javellana and Rm. 209, Mr. Czoski’s 7th grade class


I fear the height of tall buildings, because of 9/11.
I fear not knowing when death will come.
I fear big dogs (wolves, coyotes) trying to eat me.
I fear my parents arguing and listening to all their anger come out.
I fear being on a tall building.
I fear electric shocks, frayed wires and bad outlets.
I fear clowns.
I fear being paralyzed because I don’t want to be helpless.
I fear the rooms in the hall when it is dark, because something will pop out.
I fear snakes with poisonous venom.
I fear my sister’s dolls with their cold eyes just staring at you.
I fear noises that you hear when nobody’s home.
I fear shadows.
I fear my parents being taken by immigration.
Fear to me is dying but I don’t fear when it will come.
I fear my parents, when I do something wrong.
I fear driving across bridges because it might collapse while I drive on it.
I fear dying with no past.
I fear acid.
I fear falling off the beam in my gymnastics competition.
I fear my sister.
I fear the clothes in my closet because they look like a person in the dark.
Fear to me is growing up to be murdered.
I also fear when my dog tries to attack me and bite me.
I fear attics or basements, and because there are a lot of things that move there.
I fear the sight of heights.
I fear planes crashing down.
I fear being left alone.
I fear airplanes like the incident on 9/11.
I fear losing a friend who’s been with me through a lot.
I fear getting shot out in my streets.
I fear not getting into a good high school.
I fear that Mr. Espinoza doesn’t R.I.P.
I fear the hot fire.
I fear red snakes.
I fear ending up with no future.
I fear being in a plane because I think it might blow up with me in.
I fear when my sister fights with my brother.
I fear dolls with green eyes.
Getting in an accident.
Clowns they just scare me.
I fear the dead, because it looks like they’re going to come out of their grave and get us.
I fear being alone with nobody to take care of me.
I fear Wing Lee.
I fear one day when I least expect it, I will get killed.
I fear that I won’t graduate from high school.
I fear the angry voice that comes out of my teacher.
I fear oceans that I might sink in.
Getting bit by spiders.
I fear the deep seas with many living creatures.
I fear hobos when they ask, Can I have a dollar?
I fear sad clowns.
I fear people who hurt animals for selfish desires.
I fear coming back from summer break to hard stares.
I fear being lost in the darkness with no one around to tell me where I’m going.
I fear the way I will die.
Strangers trying to kill me or kidnap me.
I fear dying because after you die, what’s gonna happen?
I fear a sharp needle sucking out blood.
I fear drowning in high waters.
I fear that Mr. Espinoza might not like our actions.
I fear getting an F on a test.
My mini door in my closet.
I fear the word.
I fear the sound of someone screaming.
I fear my step-brother when he comes to my house.
I fear being suffocated by the one I care for.
I fear getting shot because you could die.
I fear death coming so soon.
I fear people I don’t know who will hurt me.
Fear to me is a disease I know I will go through to the pain and it’s supposed to help me.
I fear the door that squeaks and creaks like a broken rocking chair.
I fear fingers pointing at me.
I fear being in the hands of God.

I just fear.

No comments: