About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Daisy Faces? Snow Voices? (7th grade)

Below you'll see some more samples of the personification poems inspired by reading Cisneros and O'Hara. We spent another week on this, editing and finishing up. You'll see Miguel's poem below, in a revised draft, which is a little longer and uses line and stanza breaks. In other cases new material was generated.

###

Mrs. Jamen, Rm. 207, 7th grade


The Cars that Never Stop
Miguel M.


I see the cars
from my window
I seem them running
like people run
during a race.

I see their wheels
moving fast like
if they were
human legs trying
to be the first
ones to get to
their destination.

I ask them if they
are tired of
running all day
trying to be the
first ones to get
where they can
rest for some time
but they said they
like going from
one place to another
because that’s what
they know to do.



The Daisies Through My Window
Daisy H.


The daisies through my window
with the colors of the rainbow
talk to me with understanding.
I feel like we are combining.

The daisies move their hands around
trying to explain to me what is around.
Their petals around their faces
bring a smile to my face.

Although they are on the ground,
I feel them go all around,
I feel a connection between us.
Now it’s only one of us.


The Stars I Saw
Lorybeth A.


What I saw outside my
window would be the stars.
The stars looking at me and I
at them. In the middle of the
night. My eyes were shiny looking
at the stars. They looked like diamonds
that I saw from my mom’s
hand.

###

Mr. Czoski, Rm. 209, 7th grade


Snow
Pedro G.


When I look out the window
I see my garage snow dead
leaves. And a 50-foot tree
with the AC boxes and my
little niece’s Escalade
stuck with snow in it and
out of it my lawn
mower. And the snow is
telling me, “I wish you a merry
Christmas.” And
it makes
me
happy.


Joel
Joel V.


“Good morning, Joel, good morning!
Wake up, you can sleep all you
want when you die,” says the wind.
”No, I’m too tired!”
“No? Wake up!! It’s time to
survive.”
I look out the shattered window
at the decaying streets.


The Stars
Susy G.


Stars twinkle in the
darkness. They lead you
wherever you want to
go!
feeling like you’re getting lost.
But that is the
only thing leading you home.

###

Mrs. Harris, Rm. 210, 7th grade


House
Jose A.


The house was really mad yesterday.
I know why, he told me why, he
said he hates when people go inside
his mouth, he said he especially
hates the kid who smells and
tastes like cookies and dirt (my cousin),
and hates the women in his
stomach who gossip about each
other behind their backs (my aunts),
and those men in his lungs
who keep arguing about
the rules of poker and
whose breaths smell like beer (my uncles),
he says he sometimes wonders:
was he chose ’cause he was the only
one that was right or ’cause he was
the only one left, but sometimes
I wonder that too.


Moon
Daniela


The moon that stays in
the same place and watches
me through my window,
I noticed that he’s
kind of lonely.
He needs a homie.
Today I left my shade open
and my window so he knows
that I’m here, to chill with.
So know he’s not that lonely.


The Yellow Brick
Jose M.


The yellow brick road as it
stands with nothing to
do. It used to be
yellow, all you see
is graffiti all over it, just a
piece of art as it just
stands, cross and candles,
the cross has the names
of the people who died
on the yellow brick road.
The yellow brick road as
it stands with nothing to do.

No comments: