About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

When my words were... (7th grade)

"Psalm Three" by Mahmoud Darwish prompted some inventive responses from the 7th graders. Some explored the actual power or impact of their self-expression, some their inner personalities, and others used the assignment to just set up some wild combinations and comparisons. I asked them to rhyme lines 4 and 8 of their poem (in other words, to rhyme here and there, not every line), which some followed to the letter, and others interpreted their own way. We also talked about Darwish's attention-getting final stanza, where he breaks form, and I asked them to also break form in their final stanza.

###

Mrs. Jamen, Rm. 207, 7th grade

The Life
Kevin Z.


When my words were valuable
I was shining

When my words were wrong
I was death

When my words were hurting
I was steps

When my words were caring
I was loved

And when my words were
a sun…I became a star…


Object Effects
Pamela H.


When my words were a chalkboard,
I was written on.

When my words were a door,
I was slammed.

When my words were a clock,
I was ticking.

When my words were paper in a drawer,
I was jammed.


When my words…
Alejandra R.


When my words
were waterfall
I was dark

When my words
were anger
I was falling

When my words
were quiet
I was loud

When my words
were off mind
I was lost

Then my words
were language
but I didn’t
understand

###

Mr. Czoski, Rm. 209, 7th grade

Untitled
Anai M.


When my words
were clear as glass
I was strong

when my words
were drowning
I was weak

when my words
were blowing in the air
I was wrong

when my words were
“never again”
I took a
stand


Untitled
Valentina G.


When my words were like a book,
you wanted to read it.

When my words were like a
scary movie,
it hurt to watch.

When my words were like a
broken heart,
everyone could feel it.


Untitled
Jeffrey C.


When my words were stone
I was alone.

When my words were heard
I was in control.

When my words were in the field
I was full of joy.

###

Mrs. Bourret, Rm. 208, 7th grade

Untitled
Mayra S.


When my words were dropping
I was understood as a helpless one.

When my words were loud
I was victorious.

When my words were weak
I was lonely.

When my words were proud
I was glorious.


Untitled
Anissa V.


When my words were powerful
I was an inspirator

When my words were nothing
I was a shadow with a host

When my words were believed
I was feared

When my words were dark
I was a haunting ghost

But when my words were me
I finally became the person I
wanted to be


Untitled
Danny M.


When my words were depression
I was sorrow.

When my words were death
I was a spirit.

When my words were disappointment
I was pity.

When my words were success
I was failure.

###

Mrs. Harris, Rm. 210, 7th grade

Criss Cross
Christy Z.


When my words were rain
I was dry

When my words were black
I was lime green

When my words were dry
I was bored

When my words were flying
I was dying

When my words were silent
I was proud

When my words were plastic
I was sugar

When my words were static
I was flatline

However when my words became
weak
my tongue became swollen


Random
Nick C.


When my words were couch
I was busy.

When my words were Sox
I was box.

When my words were books
I was dogs.

When my words were fear
I was fox.

Only when my words were floor
I was roller coaster.


My Words
Xavier C.


When my words were heavy metal
I was famous

When my words were solid
I was hollow

When my words were nasty
I was outrageous

When my words were awesome
I was followed

No comments: