About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Heart - 6th

Sandra Cisneros' "Little Clown, My Heart" was the inspiration for this batch of poems.



Mrs. Hernandez, Rm. 109, 6th grade

Funny Monkey
Jocelyn R.


Funny monkey, my heart,
cute and furry with lipstick on.
Juggles and tells jokes at the
same time.
He hops he runs but most of all
he just walks.


Little Hands, a Mom’s Heart
Destiny M.


Little hands, as they meet
She hugs her little one
and plays with her feet
She giggles, she laughs
Little hands, little hearts


Music
Yaneliz R.


loud music, my heart
spinning and dancing
falling and practice
and making a mess


Little Monster, My Heart
Vanessa A.


Little monster, my heart,
hiding in closets and under the beds,
scaring away little kids,
wants to play but everyone’s afraid, like
a tornado just hit the earth.

Little hairy feet walking
into a dark room.
He’s so scared and no one’s there,
happiness is gone,
all there is is emptiness.


My Heart
Daisy A.


loud fireworks, my heart,
with the boom and the pump.
With the happiness outside and inside
filling and willing to do what I want.
Little heart little heart as you
hear the loud fireworks I sigh.
Hurry, hurry heart, fill me with
love like fireworks fill the sky.


My Lonely Heart
Daisy A.


Lonely me, my heart.
I sleep while you are trying to talk.
I wake up, you’re asleep, I try
to talk to you but you don’t
hear. We both can’t talk, you
take care of me, I take care
of you. At least we’re together.

No comments: