About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

"I Remember:" Litany, 6th grade

The writer Joe Brainard created a book-length poem of lines that all start with the phrase "I remember." We read a selection and talked about his use of concrete image and how it conveyed the particular time he grew up in. I asked them to try their own "I remember" poems, writing in a free style, starting each new line with "I remember," and writing without stopping during the time set.


Mrs. Hernandez, Rm. 109, 6th grade

Remember
?


I remember my
Grandpa's voice
and his face,
telling the story of
God, laying there
day by day smiling
and saying hi to
my friends who
come and play.
I wish to see
him again one
more time, hear
his voice and face.
I wish


I Remember
Chris R.


I remember when I started to see dead people.
I remember when my brother got killed.
I remember a house with lights.
I remember a dancing monkey on my car.
I remember a talking book telling me what to do.
I remember getting Fs on my report card.
I remember my teacher talking about aliens.
I remember when my friend broke my back window.
I remember when I saw an elephant driving a motorcycle.
I remember when I got in trouble.
I remember some boy getting kicked in the face by a horse.


I Remember
Yaneliz R.


I remember dancing while people watched me.
I remember walking and a truck hitting me on my side.
I remember running because I was playing ding dong ditch.
I remember two bulldogs in back of me and I was on my bike crashing into a tree.
I remember running around the park with my uncle.
I remember moving into a new house.
I remember coming to my new school and not knowing anyone.
I remember walking to my house and being scared.

No comments: